If there is an active bill in your state, then be sure to contact your state representatives to let them know that any new laws should be fair and reasonable so that you can continue to enjoy your hobby. We will do our best to provide you with contact information for each state with links on this state by state page.
Here is a list of issues to be concerned about:
- Licensing Fees: This is perhaps the biggest show stopper for pending legislation. Some bills are proposing licensing fees of $50,000 or even $500,000 in order for a company to operate and offer fantasy games to residents of their state. These types of fees might make sense for large DFS companies such as DraftKings and FanDuel, because they have contests every day and they take in millions of dollars in entry fees during the course of a typical fantasy season. But for traditional season long companies like MFL, there is no way we can afford to operate in states with such high licensing fees, since we don’t even generate that much revenue (much less profit) during a full season in any single state.
- Audits with high associated costs
- Taxes on revenue
- Identifying “High Volume” players
- Bonds or Fund Reserve requirements above and beyond the amount of deposits.
- Background checks with high associated costs
- Geo-location technology